Saturday, July 5, 2008

rumors of the heart

My heart is beating so hard right now that I can see it through my t-shirt. Cold drops of sweat are running down my forehead and my breathing is getting more and more erratic.

I just discovered that there is such a thing as heart cancer. It's rare, and it strikes people in the prime of life, between the ages of 20 and 40. I am almost right smack dab in the middle of my prime - I'll be 29 this coming October. Average prognosis at diagnosis is 2 years. There are very few effective treatments, since it's so rare. There is very little information available on it. That makes it the perfect disease for me to fear.

A lot of things frighten me, but cancer is at the top of my list, along with centipedes, sex offenders and anything made in China. So, needless to say, discovering a new kind of cancer that I did not yet know existed did not make my day.

No comments: