Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What do Amy Winehouse and fingers have in common?

...Neither one should be clubbing.

According to People.com, Amy Winehouse, 24, is in the initial phase of emphysema from, as her father, Mitch Winehouse so eloquently puts it, ""With smoking the crack cocaine and the cigarettes her lungs are all gunked up." I guess that'll do it.

Emphysema doesn't particularly frighten me, though. I don't know why. Maybe because I'm too busy worrying about lung cancer and inflammatory breast cancer and Morgellons and everything else under the sun to worry about emphysema. And, because I'm really not concerned about emphysema, I know relatively little about it. So, I decided to remedy that and do a little research. Emphysema is basically a condition that destroys the lung tissue, making it harder and harder to breathe. And its symptoms range from the obvious - shortness of breath, dizziness, fainting - to the bizarre and perplexing. Finger clubbing?
Is that some new trend, like the early-90s rave phenomenon that I'm thankful to have been just a little too young to partake in.
No. It's not a party. It's actually a grotesque symptom of emphysema that will bring me nightmares for days to come.
I do not want to post the image on my blog, but if you feel so inclined, you can catch a glimpse here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those pics are horrid! leave it to you to find something like that!